Sunday, July 4, 2010

Counting Our Blessings




Guest Artist: Angela
http://angelinastrinkets.blogspot.com

In Job 36:11, we read: If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures. When I saw this handmade basket created by Angela, it made me think of prosperity...And so many of us are prosperous in ways we may have never even thought of.

Are we not prosperous when we are able to go to the refrigerator and pull out a soft drink? There are some countries where people don’t even have safe drinking water.

Are we not prosperous when we have fuel in the car to go somewhere of our choice? Isn’t it a blessing to be able to spend a carefree evening ordering a pizza and watching a DVD? All of these are signs of prosperity.

When I was small, I learned a song called “Count Your Many Blessings.” I used to sing it when I walked to school. I did this for years. It was my favorite song. Each time I finished singing it, I would try to count my blessings. One thing on my “Blessings” list was that I was grateful that I had a dollar for the weekend to go to the movies. Can you imagine that was the price of a ticket then?

At different ages and different stages we may count different blessings, but being mindful of them is important. When life is its toughest, that is sometimes when it is hardest to keep counting them. We might even abandon the idea completely! But, that is precisely when we need to be in touch with all that our Heavenly Father has done for us. It helps sustain us.

I think of this beautiful basket of Angela’s. In my mind’s eye, I can see filling it up with blessings and being grateful for all I’ve been given.

That doesn’t mean that people will not go through problems--real problems. But, it is at those times when prayer can give us solace or just knowing that someone is praying for us can make a difference in how we feel. I am keeping you all in my prayers as you fill your spiritual “baskets of blessings” daily.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautifully written piece. I am very delighted to have been asked to be a guest artist. I wanted to share with you earlier why this was so unique to me, but decided to wait and share it with you in a sort of 'thank you write up' at my blog. The name of your blog, I Owe it All to Him, had just crossed my lips earlier in the day and it seemed like a blessing all its own. Thank you so very much.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Angela, thank YOU for such a gorgeous piece--it is so beautiful--and unique...I know that everyone will be enjoying it so much!
    And one more thing, I was so happy to see your other gorgeous piece featured on Mixed Media Monday...Yours and mine are both on that "t.v." screen this week--together! How's that for amazing timing?
    I smiled from ear to ear when I realized that--what a blessing!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think gratitude is key in acknowledging our Savior. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's such a pretty basket, I love the color too. There are so many blessings in our lives and sometimes we see them more clearly than at other times. I'm now off to visit Angelina's blog. Pretty name too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Maria, her stuff is amazing!!! And her story is fantastic too...I couldn't wait to share it with all of you.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went to the movie it was 25 cents. Now I know that is really showing my age. And it was the event of the week. Things have soooo changed. Gratefulness is one of the classes I do, entitled "365 Day of Gratitude." Isn't that a wonderful idea if we would just write down something everyday that we are grateful for? Brought up the gratitude quotient in my life.

    ReplyDelete