Tuesday, August 3, 2010

In Honor of an Angel



Today I learned of a challenge in which we were to use a dress form to create our project...And I made this in honor of my husband’s mother who passed away 2 years ago. Her name was Fannie and she was a highly spiritual person who took her five children to church every Sunday.

Six years ago when I was taking a graduate course in religion, I needed to research some Biblical stories. I was not sure where to begin to look for specific scenarios within the text that would prove my theoretical point. At that time, she was in her 80s. I called her on the phone from California (she was in Indiana) and she knew exactly which stories I should research, what chapters they were located in, and even began quoting them verbatim. I couldn’t believe it! But, she was a life student of the Bible and knew the material.

She sewed for many years and even owned her own business. She not only created beautiful items, but she also used that time to minister to customers and workers who were so very fond of her. When I saw this dress form, I immediately thought of her and I also thought of how rare it is to know someone with such a commitment to the Lord that they LIVE it on a daily basis. Fannie was one of those people.

This raspberry red “dress form” tag was created with commercial papers, embellishments, and ink. The female image is from Marie’s Freebie’s. It includes quilled flowers that were handmade by me.

It is being linked up to Tag Tuesday--hugs to Sarah!

and Rednesday--hugs to Sue!

27 comments:

  1. so special and this is what makes our lives special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say "beautiful" but that was before I saw you beat me to it! :) But it certainly is beautiful! You amaze me with your stunning tags!!! Each one is exquisite! Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is lovely...and I especially love the story behind this..It makes it even more special..Fannie...everyone should have a woman like Fannie in their lives I think!!! love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an exquisite tag Cindy and you do such beautiful work. What a lovely story about your Mother-in-law. A special woman indeed.
    Big Hugs
    June xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tag!! (Of course, all your tags are beautiful!!)

    What a lovely mother-in-law you were blessed with. Not all women can say that. (I can...I think I have the best MIL in the entire world.)

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the story behind your tag! Such a beautiful tribute to your MIL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An exqusite tag, love all the embellishments especially the red fibers. How special is the tribute to your MIL. Just a lovely job.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for very touching and inspiring story of this great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing Mother-in-law and woman! To know bible passages verbatim, that is so incredible! Your tribute to her is really beautiful. Have a wonderful day Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a loving tribute to your mother-in-law. I so hope that someone can say something similar about me when I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy, this is so rich, so vintage, so beautiful, and a lovely tribute to your mother-in-law. I had a feeling that you would come up with something breathtaking and inspiring and you filled the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat lady Fannie was! Your tag is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this story and I wish I could of met this wonderful woman (maybe I will one day) she sound like a person I want to be more like.

    I simple love your tag/dress and I love the care and thought you have put into it. You were luck to have such a wonderful M-I-L but I guess you know that already

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very pretty, love the color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Cindy! Your tag is just gorgeous and such a lovely tribute to your mother-in-law. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    Happy Rednesday,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tag is beautiful, but the story behind it moreso. What a wonderful testimony for her life. We're practically neighbors since I live just a little north of Biloxi. This is my first visit to your blog and I see lots of interesting things to check out. Thanks for sharing your tag and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cindy~What a lovely story to go along with such a beautiful quilt. You certainly honored your late mother-in-law.
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute tag and I liked reading about your Mil memories. Happy Reds!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a loving tribute to your MIL. I'm sure shes smiling with the creative tag you made in her honor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. not only is this gorgeous with so much texture and detail, it holds a special meaning. Thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cindy, I am amazed at how beautiful you made the simple dress form. It is such a loving tribute to your MIL. I think she probably would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful story and a lovely piece of art and memory that you created. Your Mother in Law would have been very pleased. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just a wonderful tag, great tribute to your mother in law.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely gorgeous as usual.

    You know, Cindy, I look over to your sidebar and see the Hearts on Fire picture I shared last week and it just keeps inspiring me to do something with it I've wanted to do a long time. You know me, memes don't work for me to host but maybe a second blog...hmmmm...you are such an inspiration my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beautiful colors and a fine mix of material on your tag! Love it!

    ReplyDelete